Nevado de Toluca
Climbing Nevado de Toluca in one day at the Mexico's fourth tallest peak at 4,690 meters above sea level.
You will be inside one of the most spectacular landscapes worldwide. It is the only volcano in Mexico that has lagoons in its crater where archaeological remains have been found. Its Nahuatl name, Xinantecatl is translates as "naked lord". It is necessary to be prepared to climb it, because the hike begins at 4000 meters above sea level and requires a very important physical effort. To get to the summit are mandatory mountain boots.
- 06:00 hrs Departure from meeting point in Mexico City or Toluca
- 08:00 hrs We will enter the Nevado de Toluca Protected Natural Area where we will begin to admire pine forests.
- 08:30 hrs We will start our guided hike in the middle of a high mountain landscape to see for the first time from the top the majestic lagoons of the Moon and the Sun. We will go down to the center of the crater where the Laguna de la Luna is located.
- 11:30 hrs We will arrive at a hill called "El Campanario" at an altitude of 4400 masl where we can admire antoher spectacular view of the Laguna del Sol and the Moon.
- 12:00 hrs Lunch time.
- 12:30 hrs We will continue towards the summit called "Pico del Fraile" at 4690 masl, this is done as long as the personal equipment is adequate, as well as the climatic and physical conditions of the participants.
- 14:00 hrs We will descend through sandy areas on steep slopes.
- 17:30 hrs Dinner time in Toluca City.
- 20:00 hrs We will arrive at Mexico City. This hour depends of traffic, weather, etc.
- Roundtrip Transportation from Mexico City or Toluca
- Experienced mountain guides
- Trekking Poles
- Box Lunch
- Small groups
- Accident insurance
- Older than 18 years-old
- This is an activity for healthy people who do exercise frequently. It is not a tour suitable for pregnant women, people with hypertension or heart disease
- Down Jacket
- Hiking boots, medium weight, ankle height
- Backpack big enough to carry on box lunch and warm clothing
- Gloves (Windstopper or similar) and warm Hat
- Rainproof parka (breathable fabric)
- Sun hat and Sunglasses
- Level 3 - Clic here to identify difficulty level
- Length of Hike: 7.5 km
- Total Elevation to gain: 541 meters
- Elevation hike starts: 4000 meters above sea level
- Hike time: 8 hours